Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

...and I don't mean the holidays. Few stretches of time are better for football fans than the 11-day marathon of college and pro games that started on New Year's Day and ends on Sunday.

Between the BCS Bowl games and the NFL playoffs, only 3 of the 11 said days do not offer at least one compelling big-time gridiron tilt. Whether or not you're a long-suffering diehard like yours truly (more on that in a second) or someone whose teams have long since stopped being relevant this season (which, more often than not is me as well), anyone who likes their pigskin served with a heaping portion of talent, drama, and high stakes is in their glory right now.

The College Angle

I was born rooting for the University of Alabama Crimson Tide. Both of my parents graduated from there, and I was born in the shadow of the school. So before I discovered professional football, baseball, or hockey, I already knew Bear Bryant was the best coach of all time and Joe Willie Namath could do no wrong.

As a kid, it was great, since the Tide was always in the mix. When I was 9 years old, they even won a national championship. I just figured that this was normal, and they'd be #1 all the time. Unfortunately, shortly after that 1980 Sugar Bowl win, Bear Bryant retired and died, and other than a miraculous blip in 1991 when Gene Stallings led the team to an improbable National Championship against a supremely talented Miami squad, the Tide has been languishing as an SEC afterthought.

The school went through a parade of average coaches until they stole one of the best in the business away from the Miami Dolphins in Nick Saban. After a rough first year, he had somehow gotten this season's team up to #1 for five whole weeks (thanks in no small part to historically bad losses by USC, Florida, and Texas). Sure, they were ahead of schedule, and really, I didn't think they had a legit shot at winning the championship...

...but yet they did.

Sadly, their 12-0 team got thumped by hated Florida in the SEC title game, but that's OK. Heartbreaking but not entirely unexpected (Florida was a 11-point favorite, after all). Even so, they got an invitation to the Sugar Bowl and a date with undefeated Utah, and a chance to atone for their loss, finish 13-1, and launch themselves into a great recruiting class for the future.

So, Friday night I settled into my easy chair with several adult beverages ready to be consumed. Thanks to the 8:30 starting time, the little boy and wife were both asleep. I was ready to watch my favorite team take it to an inferior opponent.

And then they got absolutely pounded into the ground. By the end of the first quarter, Utah was up 21-0. The Tide made a bit of a comeback to get within 4, but never really had a chance. I don't even remember what the final score was (I refuse to read about it). And my Friday night was ruined.

Sure, they had a great year, finishing 12-2. Sure, they were the #1 team for over a month. Sure, they have a young team that will only get better next year.

But you never know when you'll get another shot at a national championship - and they had one and blew it.

The Pro Angle

My love for the Philadelphia Eagles is a little more complicated. As a youngster, I loved the NFL, but didn't really have a favorite team so much as several teams I liked. I thought the Vikings uniforms were cool, dug the Jets, even had a fling with the Chargers.

Then when I was 11 or 12, my Dad got us season tickets to the Eagles.

And so it began.

I immediately got indoctrinated into Eagles Nation, a ridiculous cacaphony of drunken louts, heartbreaking defeats, and an incredibly awful stadium. Over time, the team ownership changed, a beautiful new stadium was erected, and the lowest of the low fanbase got priced out of attending. But one thing has stayed the same for these 20+ years.

They never win the big game.

More often than not, they've been terrible. Sometimes, they're good - just good enough to lose in the playoffs. Twice, they've been great enough to make it to the Super Bow, but not great enough to win it. Invariably, every single season I have rooted for this team, they have broken my heart.

This year, believe it or not, was more bipolar than most. Somehow, some way, they literally backed into the playoffs, thanks to an incredibly fortunate series of events that rarely befalls this team as well as a historic beatdown of the hated Cowboys.

Their first playoff game was Sunday afternoon against the extraordiarily average Minnesota Vikings, and from the moment on Friday it was clear Alabama was getting their butts handed to them, I was hoping against hope that the Birds could save my weekend.

And save it they did - eventually.

After letting the Vikes hang around all day and doing their best to not score any offensive touchdowns, the Eagles pulled off the one big play they had to and the victory was secure.

Yes, I know they likely will lose to the Giants this weekend coming up.

But they're still alive, and they have a chance.

Maybe, just maybe, this is the year.....

No comments: