Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Too many games? Only for suckers (or kids with nothing better to do)!

It's that time of year, when all the game publishers release a year's worth of top-notch titles in a two-month period. All of this could be so stressful, and yet I am utterly unconcerned that I am missing out on a bevy of ridiculously entertaining games with every passing day.

Years ago, the situation would be completely different. As my buddy Mark can attest, back in the halcyon days of 2002 or 2003, I'd happily walk into a game store at lunch, ask what the latest releases were, and plunk down $100 or more sight unseen for whatever happened to catch my fancy. Times were good back then - I had money and time to burn. Ah, the folly of youth.

These days, life is actually better, but both time and money are in dramatically less supply. Thanks to a demanding job, a less-demanding but time-consuming second job, and an awesome little boy whose daily antics keep me happy and hopping, I have about 95% less time to devote to "just for fun" gaming. But, really, not only is that OK, it's actually awesome.

Why? How could I possibly not be fretting that I am missing out on Fallout 3, Little Big Planet, Call of Duty: World At War, Gears of War 2, Resistance 2, or Fable 2, just to name a handful of the blockbuster titles that've release in the past 4 weeks?

Three reasons, really:

1) They'll be there in a few months if (when?) I get around to them. It's not like it used to be, where I spent lots of time online in the latest shooters with all my friends. There is no sense of urgency anymore to keep up, because for the most part we've all grown up and moved on. And I like it that way. Sometime next year, I'll amble into a Gamestop and see Fallout 3 for $30 or $40, and I'll probably pick it up. Or not. Who knows?

2) I've still got a backlog from hell of great games I haven't gotten to. Between Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, and Godfather, that's probably 100 hours or more of top-notch games I own that have not had the shrink-wrap broken. That also doesn't count GTA IV, which I stopped mid-game, or Oblivion, or....well, you get the point. Why keep adding to the pile of shame?

3) I am happily playing 1 game "for fun" and getting a lot out of it. For the past month or so, I've been able to spend quality time (3-4 hours a week or so) with one game - Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - and take it at a pace that I want to. There's no need to try and rush through it, or get frustrated when I die a lot (which I do - it's a hard game!). Once I've finished, I'll decide what's next, then play that for a month or two. And that's just fine with me.

Not to mention, I keep playing games on the treadmill too, but those are always sports games. Between the need to really concentrate and turn up the sound so I can hear what's going on, it just doesn't work to try and play anything else. On the other hand, I've spent gobs of time in NHL 09 and NBA 2K9, both of which are totally awesome and both of which I totally suck at. But that's why God invented the reset button!

Lastly - and speaking of that second job - here are links to the last reviews I've written for GamesRadar. As the economy falls apart and my freelance opportunities dry up, these may be the last ones I do for awhile. Considering that it frees up 8-10 hours a week, though, that's not too bad of a situation in the short term.

NBA 2K9: http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/nba-2k9/review/nba-2k9/a-2008100914485412048340/g-20080611141448749075

NBA Live 09: http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/nba-live-09/g-2008060914457722077

NBA 09: http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/nba-09-the-inside/g-2008091015312151087

Enjoy!

No comments: